Saturday 7 April 2012

Oodles of Noodles - I'm Back

Oodles of Noodles
After about 2 months of doing our weekly marketing at Ang Mo Kio Avenue 4 and having breakfast at Jalan Leban Hawkers' Centre, we decided to give the Avenue 4 hawkers' centre another shot. Surely among the more than 50 stalls, there must be one which is edible.
Two weekends ago, we surveyed the stalls carefully, row by row and stall by stall. To the uninitiated, we probably look like undercover NEA health inspectors.
Lo and behold, the noodle stall where the curtains fell was awash with a familiar glow. I raced to the stall hoping to see the familiar aunty but she was not there. In her place were two young ladies. My heart sank for a moment. Then I noticed that the layout of the cooking utensils, bowls, ingredients were exactly the same! ....There is hope ! I insisted on trying the noodles. When it arrived in the familiar red melamine bowl, I took a whiff and it smelt the same. I tasted the soup and it had the same familiar taste. Yes! As I tucked into the bowl of noodles, it was almost the same......on a  scale of 1 to 10, it was close to a 9. Happiness !
We later found out that aunty had taught these 2 young ladies how to prepare the ingredients including her chilli....shiok!
It was a reunion of sorts. Not face-to-face, but the taste of aunty's cooking technique. Henceforth, I will continue to have this kway teow dry on Saturdays and the Jalan Leban one on Sundays !
What a great start to a perfect weekend. Alas, equilibrium has been restored. Someone heard my prayers :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh? "Edible"?! :o Pian lang. If you were actually looking for something "edible", you would have settled for an alternative from one of the more than 50 stalls, T Man.

You need to restore equilibrium in your life. That's serious business. Obviously, you weren't settling.

Good for the aunty to selflessly pass her tricks of the trade to the two young ladies. I hope they were family. Imitation is the best form of flattery, I say. Long live Aunty's noodles! Happy is the man who yearns and receives. :)

T Bubbles said...

Actually, they were not family. She was helping out her former boss, who passed the stall to her when he retired. I guess it is a case of "Pass it Forward". I am glad she was not selfish, otherwise her regular patrons would have been poorer as a result. How gracious of her :)

Anonymous said...

The reality is "Pay[ing] it forward is easier as a concept when the money hasn't started rolling in. She passed on the stall and the recipe after the money rolled in. That's honourable. It is gracious. I hope her kindness begats yet another for your next generation's generation. :)