Friday 4 November 2011

Dawn

Dawn is a special time of day for me. It holds the promise of what the day will bring...like a present waiting to be opened.
I have always been a morning person. When I was still schooling, I would arrange mini adventures with my cousins and neighbours at the break of dawn. I got a big kick out of waking at 5:00 am and going fishing, jogging, cycling or simply kicking a soccer ball in a nearby school field. The smell of the morning fresh air was enough of a draw of get me out of bed.
These days, my morning adventures are a little more sedantry and mostly confined to photography..... specifically photographs of sunrise.
Taking photographs at sunrise is an interesting experience. You have to get ready before the sun pops up from the horizon and when it does, you only get about 5 minutes to capture the magic. After that, the magic is gone.

These are some of my favourite photos. One was taken at Seletar Reservoir and the other was taken at Sembawang Park. Enjoy :)

Series 1 : Seletar Reservoir

Seletar Reservoir

This photograph was taken just before dawn broke. I love the serenity in the air. I can almost smell the fresh air when I look at this photograph.

The Light Up







The sky starts to light up in an ominous manner.


The sun breaks through




After the sun broke through, I manage to catch this photograph. I was rather pleased with the gentle texture of the tree line.
A Ray of Hope
 



Moments later, the rays of the sun beamed across the horizon.









Series 2 : Sembawang Park

This guy is not fishing :)
While I was admiring the sunrise, this guy stepped into the water. I must say that the picture turned out better than I expected....I love the ripples that formed around his feet.
Sunrise !
 




As the sun rises, it lines the sky with an orange tint and outline.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! It took my breath away...... [pause] These pictures are so beautiful. I almost want to cry.

Believe it or not, I was thinking of "Dawn re-visited". I've always loved sunrises by the beach but never quick enough to capture the light. Besides not being an early riser. But one fluke picture I took, had dawn eclipsed by lights from an apartment building. It looked strangely ominous. So I wrote a haiku to reflect that.

Lately I read this in Psalm 110:3 "... arrayed in holy majesty from the womb of the dawn..."

What a beautiful description. From its womb, it clothes with majestic splendour.

These pictures speak to that. They paint a thousand words.

Thank you. This has created "Dawn revisited" for me. I could never have done that.

T Bubbles said...

Thank you for your kind words and sharing your noble thought.
Of course you could have done it....all you have to do is wake uo early :p
I love taking photos of the sky...it is like a kaleidoscope, except that it changes by the moment without you having to do anything but enjoy the moment.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your vote of confidence but erm... no skillset lah. I only "master" at idiot-proof point and click photography. :p Nonetheless it is tempting. I've been tempted by the thought of taking pictures of sunrises.

The thing that pulls is the breath of fresh morning air and the kaleidoscope of colours spreading across the horizon. The drawback is how early is early? :D hahaha....

The closest I came was on a hotair balloon in Alice Springs. It was rapturous! But I was enjoying so much being one with the sunrise in the sky, that I didn't take any photos. At any rate, it would have paled in comparision.