Sunday 16 October 2011

Bukit Timah Railway Station

I decided to visit the old Bukit Timah Railway Station on 15 October to check out what had become of this segment of the railway line. This is what was left of it.

Bukit Timah Railway Station
 Locating the station was a challenge. Thanks to google map and some helpful information on the internet, I found it without too much difficulty. The access from the main road was easy enough to find. I had never been to the station, so I did not know what to expect.
As I approached what appeared to be an inconspicuous lone building with a short segment of track in front of it, it dawned on me that this was the station. There was lush greenery all around. I think they call this a green corridor. I was disappointed but only have myself to blame for not making the trip sooner. Anyway, better late than never :)

I then headed the other way towards the iconic black truss iron bridge spanning Bukit Timah and Dunearn Road. There wasn't much left so I decided to take some pohotographs as a tribute to a time gone past.

Rustic Lamp-post






This lamp standing by the platform showed the way for travellers for decades. Today, it stands forlone, as a visual reminder of a time gone past. 










The iconic bridge which spans across Bukit Timah Road





The serenity is a stark contrast from the busy Bukit Timah Road below.




Railway Bridge

This bridge is neither big nor spectacular, but it has character. I hope that it will be preserved as part of the green corridor. I see a condominium being constructed on the opposite end of the bridge and hope the urbanisation does not "invade" this bridge.



4D ! Huat Ah......




Bridge Number 1871 - Not the year it was built. I forgot to buy 4D :p








Check out the rivets !


What a beauty. I guess these rivets were formed manually. I hope the folks who worked on this bridge realise that they played a part in enabling trade between Singapore and Malaysia.





This took the load of the trains




Imagine the load these rails carried while the trains were in operation. They are now retired :)









Call it abstract art !



I saw these "appendages" hanging from an overhead electrical cable and thought it would make a good picture. The backgorund is a little busy and distracting though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey T Bubbles! I went to Bukit Timah Railway too. Didn't post the photos but great minds think alike. Apart from the obligatory photos, I took similar photos, rivets and all. That's a beauty, eh? Agree about the significance of the hands that made them. The best part is these folks are so humble about their achievements. Tired of all these blow-your- own-horn mentality that's creeping in these days. But that's a topic for another day. My comment will be longer than your post! hahaha...

Must say though, your picture of the rivets is what my mind saw but my execution didn't match yours. Hmmm... Must tell me what angle you took from. Cos it was quite a tight shot.

Planned to walk to Bukit Timah Station too. But it started to drizzle and black clouds loomed ahead so we turned back. It stopped when we were mid-way though ... sigh... It's so nostalgic. Where on earth do you see such street lamps with the naked lightbulb anymore, complete with palm fronds? Fingers crossed for the green corridor. Let greed not overtake. :X I like the black and white picture of the abstract hangers on too. :) Interesting.

Oh 1871 is the bridge number. Makes sense. Thought the Maths was not quite right ... I thought it was the year it was constructed. Not crever. :p

Eh?... wait a minute. Didn't you say that you could never be prevailed upon to walk the same tracks that train travellers of the bygone era peed on? :D What changed?

T Bubbles said...

Thanks for coming by. The rivet shot was taken from the bridge with the camera perched along the truss. Credit goes to the camera....and I did not use the DSLR :)
I stayed off the tracks as long as I could till I saw the photo opportunity from between the rail tracks. Ordinarily, I would have adopted a "plank" position but I cheated.....I focused the camera and lowered it to ground level to take the shot. I could almost smell the stuff from the hole in the ground....but it was my imagination :)

Anonymous said...

Too modest T Bubbles. The rivet pic was a great because you shot from a good angle. It rose majestically into the sky. Got me riveted. :)

Wow! you "plank". Didn't figure you as one of those. hahaha... Kidding. Ahh... I didn't plank for my rail track shots too for a very different reason. It was too rocky! As for you and the stuff of smells... that's all in your mind. :p

Keep the photos coming!