Tuesday 6 December 2011

Paris !


We went on a Parisian adventure with some family friends and it turned out to be quite an eye opener .... for me at least. Weeks before our trip, I was agonising over which of my cameras to bring on the trip....I wished I could bring all of them for the various photo opportunities during the trip. I eventually settled for one that I felt had the best balance of weight, picture quality and convenience.
Unknown to me, our travelling partners were agonising over a different matter.....how big and how many suitcases to bring along for their shopping trip !
Our host in Paris was most gracious. She is a family friend and offered to put all 5 of us in her home! It was wonderful as we had the opportunity to experience what it was like living like a local. Our first adventure was to the local Sunday market and these were some of the more memorable pictures.

Tomatoes

Capsicum & Egg Plant













Cabbage




Nice Flowers
Horse Meat, anyone?
Our friend lived by the river and the walks and bike rides along the river were absolutely wonderful. It felt like we were living in a picture postcard!





































These trees have a flat-top crop !














While my travelling partners were busy with their shopping, I slung my camera like a typical tourist and went about looking for photo opportunities in the city. These were some of the more interesting shots.




The best macaroons can be found here














Is that half a car?















No trip to Paris is complete without a cruise on the River Seine and a visit to the Louvre.
My immediate thought was "Da Vinci Code"

So this is what it is about

She's looking at you

Notre Dame Cathedral


We also made a short trip to London. Some of the more memorable photos are as follow:
Caught this ominous looking shot from the train
Picadilly Circus ..... is that the same ominous cloud?
Gorgeous looking Tower Bridge
Big Ben
Love the silouette shot

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paris! Sigh... something about that makes me "mooney". The pictures are nostalgic. Calls for that "I wish I'd been there" envious sigh. Lucky you. I love "live-as-they-do" hols. And by the river!.I literally took deep breaths walking vicariously along the river! :p

Hey! Just re-looked at the photos, the "alien" cloud shot was quite a moment, eh? The right side up and upside down duck was another momentous shot. You must have waited some time for that! Loved all the pictures. But no cheese and wine, baguettes and sidewalk cafes postcard perfect pictures? I'm sure you have them. Show? It'll complete my trip to Paris! :)

T Bubbles said...

Yah, the scenery around the river was fantastic. On Sundays, the close off the roads by the river (except to residents). The whole area becomes an "extended park". Despite the very narrow roads, motorists co-exist with cyclists ... unlike here where cyclists are often "bullied" on the road. It calls for consideration, patience and tolerance, something which we, sadly, are lacking. We live in a society where efficiency supersedes all else....including graciousness.
Thanks for kinds words re photos .... this is a blow by blow account of the pictures highlighted:
1/ "Alien" Cloud - Saw this cloud outside the train window and just snapped the shot.....it later turned out to be better than I had imagined....the wonders of photography :)
2/ Upside-Down Duck - If I were a nature photographer, I would have set up a well camouflaged tent by the river, waited day and night, braving the elements until I got my shot. No lah, just happened to walk by at the right moment when the duck decided to stick his bum into the air.
3/ Sidewalk Cafes - Sadly no such photo.....we went to one cafe and waited for 10 minutes and despite 2 reminders to be served, they never came. They just could not be bothered. That is the sad state of their service industry....if you can call it that. My experience at shopping malls was no different. In Paris, you only get good service in boutiques....then again, from Asians :P There was one very nice French gentleman who walked up to us to offer assistance when he saw us huddled over our map of Paris unsure of where we were......I could tell from his accent. Apart from him and our hosts, the people-experience in Paris was not great. Sadly, it is the people who created the culture, art and engineering marvels from years gone by....and it is now the culture and art of this era gone by (not the people) that brings visitors from around the world to visit the city. The balance is lost :(

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... What a lyrical existence. Extended park sounds so neighbourly and friendly. Glad you had a lovely host to make up for the lack at the cafes and malls. How rude!

It's partly the city thing. City folk tends to be in a rush and are rather unfriendly. For instance, while I enjoy London, I find that people get friendlier the further you go from the city. This was confirmed by a Londoner who re-settled in the Lake District, with whom we stayed at the B & B.

Having said that, Asians also do tend to be more hospitable, even in the cities. May I hazard to say, it's because we are more cosmopolitan, more aware of the world and better travelled. And less ignorant.

I mean, they are as fragmented in Europe as we are in Asia; so they should understand that like French are not Germans, Singaporeans are not Thai, Indonesians, Malaysians or Mainland Chinese etc.... I've heard that they lump all Asians as from a country I will not specify, who they think are uncouth and so accord everyone of us the same incivility. :x

There should not even be that segregation in the first place. Surely as humans, everyone is entitled to be treated in a more dignified way. They treat their dogs better! :o

Perhaps that's why they are in the state they are in. They could easily milk the tourist dollar which they desperately need given that their economies are weakening. But they choose to turn their noses up at those who will spend their hard-earned money in their country. If it weren't going to affect the rest of the world, I say leave them to their own folly.

Now I remember why, while I love the history and culture of that old-world, has-been conqueror, I chose not to visit. I'd rather go to a country where even though I don't speak the language, I don't get rubbed the wrong way or feel upset, not once, while I'm there. They are such lovely people with a beautiful spirit. I love Japan. So perhaps France and the rest of Europe will continue to take a backseat for me. I was hoping things might have changed. But alas... they continue in the dark ages! :p

There you go, you hit a raw nerve hit! :p So I should stop here. Regardless, the photos are still lovely. Which means the country is beautiful. Too bad the people, except your host and that lone French gentleman, don't match up to it.