Monday 27 June 2011

Farewell to a Grand Dame



Tanjong Pagar Railway Station
 
On 1 July 2011, the Tanjong Pagar Railway Station will become history. I understand that the building has been here for the last 79 years. It has seen Singapore through the colonial days to the days when we were a part of Malaysia and then independence.
It was not a building I frequented. In fact, I had only been there three times to catch a train. Once when I as probably about 10 years of age on a day trip to Kluang, another when I was in my early teens (11 or 12 years) on a holiday to Fraeser's Hill and the third when I was about 17, also on a holiday to Fraeser's Hill. They were all family holidays with my parents.
I recall 2 things vividly about the train ride then - the toilet was a hole in the floor and you could see the track beneath you when you had to "go". The other thing was the hypnotic rhythm the wheels made as they rolled over tracks. There was something soothing about it.
Although it was more than 30 years since my last trip on this train, I felt a call to visit the station one last time. I cannot explain why this is. Perhaps it is because of the countless times I have driven past the building and used it as a landmark, hence I feel a sense of indebtedness.
I made that last trip to Tanjong Pagar Station on 25 June 2011, armed with my camera. It was truly nostalgic. Some parts of the station did not seem to have changed in the last 30 years ! It is, in my opinion, a charming building and I hope it does not get reincarnated as another characterless office building or condominium.
After 79 years, its time had come. Once a significant station of Malayan Railway linking Singapore's harbour with the Western Malaysian states, it has since lost its relevance.
These are some photographs I took. Enjoy :)
 

Stately European Styled Clock
 

Main Hall of the Station



Ticket Office


Train pulling into the station

Interesting Lamp

When was the last time you saw this at a car park?

Wrought iron fence surrounding building
The Circle of Life
Hibiscus, Malaysia's National Flower





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww... what nostalgic photos, gt. :) Leaving from train stations, especially these majestic grand ol' buildings always evoke a sense of mystery and adventure.

I'm glad you got to capture her last days. I was planning to go before her shutters were lowered one last time, but my camera is in the shop. They are re-calibrating its colour grid. So both my camera and I didn't make it. :(

I had wanted to reel in memories of her existence before she became another condo clubhouse (fingers crossed - not!) And mostly, cos' I loooooove trains. Particularly these cantankerous old dames clanking down the tracks whistle blowing. I love the sound ... it has such melancholic resonance. I once chose to stay in a room in a B & B in Bath situated right by a rail track. I think it was Hotel Sydney (yep in Bath). The proprietress tried to dissuade me but I politely insisted... :p (oxymoron).

The next plan is to walk by the rail tracks. But the sweltering heat has put major brakes on that. Maybe early in the morning... one day....

Meanwhile, you might get ahead of me on that too! Look forward to the photos! :)

T Bubbles said...

Walk along the tracks?....Hmmmm....maybe I will give that a miss.....remember the hole in the floor? ..... I know its been a long time, but that image has burned an impression in my mind....it would be a good photo opportunity though.....the tracks I mean....what were you thinking...hahahaha
Thanks for dropping by. Cheers

Anonymous said...

hahahaha... isn't this a benign "G" rated blog? what were you thinking? hahaha...

ahh.. i did not have the same image burned in my mind. i've been to penang and kul by train, but my secret is to hold it in. no hydration by any means too! this self-imposed, "hold-IT!" training has been put to good use in many a country where toilet facilities are "slush" worthy.. :p (but now i'll never drink slush again!)

i'm afraid i'll have to live without your good photo opportunity then - whatever you are thinking! :D (can't wait for your next blog! haha)