Friday 6 June 2014

Sunset

Sunrise at Punggol

I love sunrises and sunsets. Maybe it is the anticipation of not knowing what to expect. For a photographer hoping to capture a sunrise or sunset, there is about a 5 minute window between darkness and the sun rising or when the sun sets beyond the horizon. 
You never really know what to expect. Some days, you are greeted with a wonderful hue which splashes the sky with hues of orange and red. It almost feels like the sky is speaking to you through a painting in the sky. On other days, the sun rises or sets uneventfully like someone turned on or turned off the lights.
Last weekend, I took my trusty range finder camera to Upper Peirce Reservoir to capture the sunset. It seemed like an uneventful sunset which was going to go out with a whimper. The photograph below says it all.
Not a bad reflection
As I was about to lament my wasted effort, the sky seemed to have heard my thoughts and injected a tinge of red hue which tickled my fancy.

That's better !
Before long, the red hue turned into a spotlight and casted an orange tint on a patch of adjacent clouds.

As red as Rudolf's nose?
This drama lasted barely a couple of minutes and before long, it was "lights out".

As I was taking the photographs, I took a couple of shots with my iPhone and the results amazed me. See it for yourself. 

Taken with my iPhone 5
My trusty range finder camera
The photograph taken with my iPhone 5 is crispier and appears to have more depth. There is a reason for this. I had the HDR (High Dynamic Range) option turned on. HDR is particularly helpful when  the photograph has a broad range of lighting exposures. From what I understand, the camera captures several images at different aperture settings. It selects portions of the photograph which is correctly exposed and combines the results into one photograph. This gives the photograph great depth. To see samples of HDR photos, just type "HDR Photo" in google and check out the awesome images. If overdone, the photos look "overcooked" but if done well, the photos look almost 3D. I am not a big fan of HDR as I am a purist. I don't even like filters. Admittedly, I do tweak my photographs slightly with a photo editing software, akin to "light make-up".


 

3 comments:

adLibber said...

The iPhone 5 HDR shot is lovely. It does seem to give more definition and movement to the picture; but despite the point and click faux photographer that I am, I would still prefer my own effort and eye. :p

I like the "Not a bad reflection" picture. Its hues give a warm and fuzzy feeling. The cloud on water looked so 3D. Like it's a cloud pontoon so you can walk on water. I wonder if that's what "walking on Cloud 9" means. :)



T Bubbles said...

Thanks.
Cloud 9 when reflected on the water should be Cloud 6? .... Remember to bring a floatation device when on Cloud 6....or is it Cloud 9 upside down :p

adLibber said...

Haven't you heard of the condition? There's always a name for every condition. This is dyslecsix... It's upside down dyslexia. :p