Wednesday 1 January 2014

A Time Gone By

The "Kickapoo" Factory
Along Serangoon Road sits a building which has been around since I was a kid. It is the former National Aerated Water Co Ltd factory. I have driven past this factory countless times and each time, I tell myself that I should bring my camera and shoot some photos for posterity, before it is torn down and lost forever. Some folks may view this as an eye-sore but to me, it adds character to the area. I know it is a matter of time before it is torn down and becomes just another condominium.
I never visited the factory in its hey day but recall buying Kickapoo (aka Joy Juice) from my school canteen. It cost $0.25 a bottle. It was a simpler time and this drink brought a lot of joy :) Yes, I was easily pleased as a kid.
"Joy Juice"
There are still clues that this was the home of Kickapoo. If you look carefully at the photo below, you will see a washed out "Kickapoo" decal on one of the windows.
Can you see the Kickapoo decal on the window?
How I wished I was able to get into the factory to take some photos. That would have been really neat. Being a law-abiding citizen, I kept on the right side of the fence but but still managed to take some photos to share. Enjoy :)
Is that an awesome looking pump or what?

It does not say "No Entry"
I guess that means "Do Not Enter"
A bird made a home on the roof
A view from another angle
Look at the design above the door. This was from an era when there was no air conditioning :)
This padlock stands guard, day and night, rain or shine
Closer shot of the frontage
Soon, it was time to call it a day. As the sun receded behind the horizon, my stomach reminded me that it was time for dinner - my third favourite meal of the day :)
Thank you, Kickapoo factory for the memories. You remind me of a simpler time - when we were not rich, but we were happy. We had enough. 
I wish you enough :)
Sunset


5 comments:

adLibber said...

I remember Kickapoo "joy juice". It's like a euphemism for something stronger. :p It always made me feel like I'm drinking some forbidden drink.

I didn't know the factory building is still standing.

Cool pictures! Awesome bird home. It looks more "free" than some of us living in gilded cages. :p The reflection of the factory in the water is picturesque and the sunset picture is poetic.

Did you go with your trusty steed?

T Bubbles said...

Agree with your comment about the bird.
For them, the best things in life are free :)
For us, they come with ERP :p]
I left my trusty steed at home and decided to contribute towards my carbon footprint :)

adLibber said...

Wah ... impressive. My carbon footprint is so high... though since I'm not travelling so much anymore, it doesn't compare to those on Solitaire level :)

I just happened to scroll down your blog entry and saw "I wish you enough". I totally missed that the last time.

Did you read that post that's been going around on fb on the mother and daughter? Wah so poignant.

Yes - "Enough" is good. Taking away OCD tendencies that overreaches for perfection in things immaterial like fitting of phone screen protector and bumper case... Aaaaauuuuugh!... :p

T Bubbles said...

Yes, I read the post about "I wish you enough." That was the inspiration that statement. So few words…..so deep in meaning :)

adLibber said...

http://www.bobperks.com/wish.htm

Yes.. versions of that have been floating around on the internet. I think this is the original version.

I wish you enough too.... Cheers!