Saturday 6 July 2013

Adventures of a Park Connector Uncle

My Trusty Steed - Iron Eagle
I used to ride my road bike on weekends. Having been on the wrong end of several close shaves, I have given up being a roadie. I decided to explore the Park Connectors and love it. Before I started my adventures, I had to raise my "Iron Eagle" from the annals of neglect. I have had it since 2002 or so. She served me well till 2010 when I was seduced by the thrill of speed on a road bike. With a bit of elbow grease and new tyres, she was set to go.

On 6 July 2013, I decided to torment the Park Connectors from Ang Mo Kio to Punggol. It was quite an adventure. The following photos document the trail I took. The first landmark was the Sengkang Fire Station.
Sengkang Fire Station
I am sure it is equipped with the best facilities and equipment. As I stood there looking at the fire station, I cannot help but sense that there was something missing. After about a minute, I found what I was looking for - character and excitement. It looked rather clinical. Till this day, when I look at the "old-style" fire stations like the one at Hill Street, I feel a certain rush. The older fire stations looked more dramatic and always ready for action. This building did not give me that. Maybe it is because there is no look-out tower.

As I was about to continue my adventure, I saw this pigeon perched on a railing, barely 2 metres from where I was standing. He appeared to be sharing my view, and maybe my thoughts too :)
Mr Pigeon
As I cycled through the Punggol Park Connector, I was greeted by awesome views. I will let the photos do the talking.
So peaceful and serene 

These look like giant bonsais

Is this a pretty view or what?
I soon arrived at Lorong Halus Wetlands and decided to explore it a bit. I saw a pond with water lilies. Somehow, water lilies seem to evoke a sense of calm. I find them almost magical.

Water Lily Pond
Seems to have a magical glow


Looks magical

Family of 3

Busy Bees at Work

Beacon of Light

Twins
As I cycled through Punggol Waterway, I cannot help but envy the lucky folks who have bought their homes here. It reminded me of Venice.
Singapore's National Bird - The Crane at Work :)

Imagine this in your backyard
Complete with water feature
As I neared the end of my adventure, I came across a "kampong". What a magical sight. This was along Lorong Buangkok. Sadly, I am sure its days are numbered in the name of progress. If they have to make way for development, I hope the new buildings show more character than a modern day fire station.
There are still kampongs in Singapore?
It was an awesome ride. According to my iPhone App called "Map My Ride", I covered 28.35 km and burned 1,109 calories on my ride today. Now I can tuck into my Mee Rebus without feeling guilty :)

2 comments:

adLibbing said...

Way to go!, uncle and his trusty, two-wheeled "steed".

Love the bonsai picture. Even more amazing is that little piece of idyllic, nestled among the concrete jungle of BTO flats and construction sites with cranes that do not fly!

T Bubbles said...

Indeed. I hope I do not wear out the pavements before the residents move in :p