Wednesday 9 May 2012

A Church

At the junction of Coleman Street and Hill Street sits an understated white church called the Armenian Church. It has been around for as long as I can remember. I have passed this church ever since I was a boy, but never entered the compound.
Last weekend, I armed myself with my trusty camera and decided to pay this church a visit. As I approached the church, I expected to see an elaborate worhip hall with stained glass, paintings and European architecture.
Instead, what greeted me was a plain hall with simple wooden pews. I was in awe of its understated elegance. As I entered the church, there was a visitors' logbook and was prompted to pen a few lines in the book. I wrote something like "Beautiful church. May God bless everyone."
God Bless Everyone
As I wandered around the compound, there were some memorial stones and statues. Some of the statues took my breath away.
He loves children

This angel looks like it is about to spring into action
He sacrificed for us




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is inspired. I love this church. It sits so serene amid the hustle and bustle of the city. Like as if in a time warp. I wish we had more places like this.

The angel must be a lot like my guardian angel. :p Ready to spring into action to prevent yet another fall! Another mishap. I wonder if angels need to retire from their charges. Kidding! :p

The most poignant image is the last one. Exhausted in all ways, He fell under the weight of the cross. He had His army of angels but called on none. He had to go this alone. His life for ours.

T Bubbles said...

Well said :) Yes, when I first set my eyes on that angel, it looked like it was about to leap into action......to standby at a cetain mocha grey contraption :p
Yes, such simple elegance and beauty amid the bustle of our little tropical island. So refreshing.....I am a little tired of the emaculately restored heritage buildings. The restoration takes away the caharacter of the building and kills the ambience. It is almost like buying an antique wristwatch with characteristic patina and sending it for replating and polishing so it looks brand new. Such a waste of time.....literally.

Anonymous said...

Yes... You thought right about the angel. I can confirm, he was there. My guardian angel. Despite shaking his head about the roundabout leisure ride and stop, he was there. I think mine has special dispensation. Helping klutzs require that! :p I'm thankful.

I agree with you on the restored buildings. I have trouble wrapping my head over people who spend a fortune to get antique restored. Read "make new". :o :( It's not about the value (though I've been told unrestored antique, have greater value). Of course, you need to maintain these things, maybe the word is refurbish ie overhaul till it's new antique. That's an oxymoron if I ever saw one. I think It's about the sense of history. Lost. I like what you said, it's a waste of time and if these are personal stuff, precious memories....